#1 Thailand, Jan. 3, 1990

Dear, Everybody,

I arrived Bangkok with a cold, so I babyed myself for a couple of days. I did rouse myself to take the express boat on the river (kind of like a bus) to visit Wat Po with its reclining Buddha, the Marble Temple, and a government shopping center. For lunch I ate chicken and cashews over rice (good!) and then rested at my hotel.











The next day after breakfast I went shopping. I bought postcards and stamps and two mother-of-pearl little spoons with which to serve caviar (better than metal). I bought some ampicillin for my sore throat at a local pharmacy—I wonder about it being stored at room temperature here, which is at least 90 degrees F! I again took the express boat and went to see the Emerald Buddha, which is really made out of nephrite jade or jasper quartz. It is quite small and was a little disappointing, but the hall in which it is situated was really beautiful. Next to it is the Grand Palace, which is fancy beyond belief. The interior is decorated with lots of gilt, colorful mosaics, and marble. The roof tiles are polished orange and green.





And lining all the walls of the compound are scenes from the Ramakian, which is the Thai version of the Indian epic, the Ramayana.




















It was really hot and humid so I sat on the roof garden of my hotel and rested up before taking a night train to Chiang Mai, 400 miles north of Bangkok.



Before the train pulled out of the station, the national anthem was played over the loud speaker and everyone came to attention. I slept pretty well in my second-class upper bunk, after a poor dinner in the dining car. I arrived at 8:30 AM and went directly to the West River View Lodge, a wonderful small hotel overlooking the river.




After resting a bit, exploring the hotel and getting settled, I had honey chicken with sticky rice for lunch, topped off by a hot fudge sundae—comfort food for my cold.

I hired a bicycle rickshaw to take me touring for a couple of hours. I saw several wats (temples), which are quite plain but very serene and beautiful. Chiang Mai is a laid-back town with beautiful weather—not so hot and humid, not much traffic, and friendly people. That evening was New Year’s Eve so at midnight there was rousing fireworks, which was fun to see exploding above the temple roofs.

New Year’s Day inspired me to do some serious walking. I walked completely across old Chiang Mai, stopping in to visit the many wats, shops, and other interesting buildings, as well as stopping for tea.

That evening I had a light supper in a German beer garden. A visit to the Night Market, a colorful jam-packed large indoor place that had everything for sale finished out my evening. I was still suffering from my upper respiratory problems so I was taking it quite easy.

The next day was a shopping day. I took a tuk-tuk to the arts and crafts stores all located together.



There was weaving, pottery-making, umbrella making and one young woman was unwinding the silk strands from silk worms which were being ‘cooked’ over heat to loosen the strands.
















The crafts are lovely, but, of course, one has to buy according to what one can carry home. I contented myself with some silver jewelry, and then had a marvelous lunch of fried duck with asparagus.







Another long walk took me to the

North Gate. I took a minibus up to Doi Suphet, a temple a few miles out of town.



I walked up the serpentine 290 steps.









The view was lovely—I think the Chiang Mai area is very pretty. And I’m really enjoying the food!




That evening I had a ‘northern curry’ with a spring roll, and with Mekong whiskey.

Tomorrow I’m going to take a little one-day tour to Doi Inthanon.


This entry was posted in 1990, Thailand. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s